Sunday, May 18, 2008

Wicked Cool


On Thursday night, Rachel and I decided to get out for a bit of culture and went to see the touring production of "Wicked". I had no clue what I was getting into other than it was about the witches from the Wizard of Oz and that there was some song in it about "defying gravity". Beyond that, I was blank. Needless to say, I wasn't prepared for my jaw to be on the floor the entire evening. First off, the show is led by two insanely powerful female leads, which, in the realm of your standard musical is pretty different (and AWESOME). And second, I love the idea of the "story behind the story". Just like in the "True Story of the 3 Little Pigs", we learn that there is a very different explanation for a very traditional story we're used to hearing. In the Kansas City production, Katie Rose Clarke was hilarious as Glinda and Carmen Cusack was stunning as Elphaba (the green gal). If you have an opportunity to see this show, run quickly. Do not hesitate. Even if the thought of singing witches doesn't trip your trigger, you'll want to see the mechanics of the Wizard in action. And between the emerald lines there is a pretty solid message about peace, tolerance and the power of fear that we could all do well to hear.

2 comments:

Brother Josh said...

We're going to try to hit the Melbourne show in the next couple weeks - Halftix being the go for us here. I'm still bummed that we've missed Spamalot!

Unknown said...

I'm still singing that addictive "you're gonna be pop-u-lar!" in my head 24/7. Probably my favorite theme in the evening (without revealing too much) is the concept of origin. Do people start out wicked...or are they made so? It's the ever present nature versus nurture debate!