Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Our Collective Memory


Linkory is a very interesting site with a pretty cool premise. The hope is that people will jump on to Linkory and use it as a social hub for connecting through memories of events. You can join existing conversations such as, "Where were you on September 11th, 2001?" or "What are your memories of last year's family reunion?" Friends and family can join your threads and upload their own versions of events through writing, photos and video. I think that it's a fantastic idea that is just in its infancy. So, jump on, jot down some memories that you're ready to share and see who else has had the same experience. Hey Josh, remember paper routes at 5am in the Iowa snow? I wish I had video. :) Thanks to Joseph Jaffe for the link.

4 comments:

Brother Josh said...

Ah, I remember the paper routes - mom helping me roll papers and ending up with black hands. But do you remember the motorcycle that dad had in Mt. Ayr? Yamaha 800 with a fairing I think - was just thinking about that today.

tim said...

I DO remember that. Mostly because I have memory of witnessing a car accident while sitting at a gas station on the motorcycle. I'd be interested to find out if Dad remembers that event. Linkory here we come! Am I sensing a nostalgic purchase of a two wheeled mode of transportation for brother josh? :)

Unknown said...

Actually, it was a 750 Yamaha; yes with a fairing and windscreen, roll bars, and a nice high back rest and luggage rack. I mounted a fiberglass luggage box on the rack in order to carry 'pastor stuff" when I was on the road. Actually rode it to and in Des MOines a couple of times. Interstate and urban traffic was more adventure than I really wanted.
Do you remember picking up aluminum cans on the cycle? One time, I think with Tim, we tipped the bike over and had some struggle getting it upright.
And speaking of paper routes, Josh, I remember the time you appeared by our bed, upset because it was blizzarding out, asking, "Do I really need to go?" Of course, we said yes, and you started to cry, but got dressed and headed out the door. I felt so bad for you, I quick got up, dressed in my warmies, and ran to catch up and help you with the route. I still admire your tenacity.
Dad

Jack A. Shapiro said...

As the founder of linkory.com I was impressed by this thread. Would you mind adding this to the site? All the best!