Thursday, May 8, 2008

Seeing Green


It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it. While working on a video project for the agency, we needed to capture some game play from the original Super Mario Brothers on Nintendo. Finding this project almost too good to be true, I had to go back and dig up my old Game Boy for the nostalgia factor. I wish that I had video footage from 1989 because you would see a kid sitting in the back of a big blue Dodge Ram van with vinyl seats, his focus locked on a light grey hand-held brick. Four simple buttons and a control pad were all that was needed to transport me to that magical land. When I describe the game now, I think about how much fun it must have been in the brainstorming stages of designing these games. "No, no, no... see he gets bigger when he eats the mushrooms, and when he grabs the flowers he can shoot an unlimited number of super bouncy balls! Who cares where the balls from! What? No he doesn't have a giant backpack! And yes, the giant seahorses will be breathing fire..." What a trip. Anyone else out there high on Mario?

No comments: